MFG (Motor Fuel Group) is currently the biggest forecourt operator in the UK. While you may not know the name, as they tend to let their fuel and retail brands do the talking, they own many of the forecourts along both major roads and in urban areas.
They are now focusing on food sales, by creating new 'food to go' environments and investing in stand-alone coffee shops and fast food units. They are developing new 'charging hubs', both attached to existing service areas and standing on their own.
MFG was formed on the basis that a new subsidiary company would be formed every time the founders acquired a new series of sites, making the business easier to manage. Under its own independent banner, MFG grew to over 900 sites, and they are currently working on bringing all the companies under one banner.
However, forecourts that had come under MFG's control after their acquisition of MFG had either SPAR stores or Hursts, which was MRH's own store brand. With priority on the rebranding of their SPAR stores, the vast majority of these stores have now been refurbished and rebranded as Londis.
In 2015, MFG acquired some forecourts from Shell including sites on A-roads; the retail parts of which were refurbished to include the standard MFG offering of Costcutter, later Londis.
MFG acquired MRH in June 2018.
In December 2020, MFG acquired all six AUK Investments Limited forecourts in the Lake District.
MFG acquired all of George Hammond PLC's six forecourts in south east England on 30 June 2021.
MFG's owners sought to acquire the supermarket chain Morrisons in 2021. The Competition and Markets Authority blocked the sale, but MFG has since released a list of sites it is prepared to sell to reduce the risk of a monopoly.
MFG operate forecourts at the following signposted service areas:
- Abercynon (A470) (northbound only)
- Alfreton (A38)
- Barnetby (A180)
- Barton Mills (A11) (southbound only)
- Barton Stacey (A303) (westbound only)
- Bell (A491) (southbound only)
- Bellshill (A725)
- Bicker Bar (A52)
- Bilbrough Top (A64)
- Binley (A46) (southbound only)
- Bloody Oaks (A1) (northbound only)
- Bodmin Moor (A30)
- Broxden (A9)
- Camel Hill (A303)
- Capelgate (A12) (northbound only)
- Carcroft (A1) (northbound only)
- Chiverton Cross (A30)
- Cobham (A2) (westbound only)
- Colsterworth (A1) (northbound only)
- Cornwall (A30)
- Doddington (A46)
- Dumbarton Gateway (A82) (north-westbound only)
- Eynsham (A40) (westbound only)
- Feering (A12) (northbound only)
- Foston (A1) (northbound only)
- Gate (A2) (westbound only)
- Gretna (A74(M))
- Handcross (A23) (southbound only)
- Interchange (A46) (north-eastbound only)
- Jeremy's Corner (A23) (northbound only)
- Kilmarnock (A77)
- Kingsclere (A339)
- Long Sutton (A17)
- Maidstone (M20)
- Morcott (A47)
- Musselburgh (A1)
- Nesscliffe (A5) (eastbound only)
- Northside (A49)
- Oak (A45) (westbound only)
- Podimore (A303)
- Queenborough (A249)
- Rufus Stone (A31) (westbound only)
- Skewen (A465)
- Stonecross (A10)
- Sparkford (A303)
- Sutterton (A17)
- Swaffham (A47)
- Swallowfield (A33) (southbound only)
- Symonds Yat (A40) (eastbound only)
- Teddington Hands (A46/A435)
- Telegraph Hill (A380)
- Thanet Way (A299) (eastbound only)
- Thetford (A11)
- Thirsk (A168) (southbound only)
- Three Burrows (A30)
- Thurrock (M25/A13/A282)
- Vale (A46)
- Warmington (A605)
- West Cave (A63)
- Winning Post (A38)
- Wittering (A1) (northbound only)
- Wynyard Park (A19/A689)