Most filling stations are operated by third-party companies who simply purchase wholesale fuel from a fuel supplier - for example, Esso supply fuel to some EG Group forecourts, but EG Group operate the filling station themselves with their choice of shop.
However, sometimes, the fuel majors actually operate their own sites. This page explains the patterns by which you can usually identify whether a filling station is operated by a subsidiary of fuel supplier, rather than by a franchise or licence basis.
On the motorway and A-road network, 'BP Express Shopping' operate many BP-branded forecourts.
- All M&S Simply Food branded stores (except Wetherby)
- Any store with a Wild Bean Café concession (except those attached to SPAR stores)
- Select stores
- 'Little Waitrose at Shell Select' branded stores
- Budgens stores with a deli by Shell range inside
Restaurants and shops
Asda operates all stores which are Asda Express branded, regardless of fuel supplier.
All Asda On the Move stores are operated by EG Group, although these are all in the process of being transferred to Asda Express branding and ownership.
Costa doesn't operate:
- Any motorway cafés - these are operated by either Moto or Roadchef
- Cafés located within petrol stations
- Cafés in Premier Inn hotels
Costa Express machines within shops are the responsibility of the shop operator.
Greggs doesn't operate:
- Any stores within motorway service areas - these are operated by either EG Group or Moto
- Any concessions within forecourt stores
- Stores located within Asda, EG Group, Moto or Welcome Break A-road amenity buildings
- All restaurants located at Extra sites (except Leeds Skelton Lake - this restaurant is operated by Welcome Break)
- Extra's former sites at Derby & Burton and Leicester North
- Some A-road service areas
KFC do not operate restaurants located within EG Group, Moto or Welcome Break service areas.
McDonald's operate all sites which are:
- Located within Extra service areas
- Part of an A-road service area (some exceptions apply)
McDonald's do not operate any sites within Roadchef service areas.
Starbucks operate all sites which are:
- Not advertised on premises as an EG Group, Welcome Break or 23.5 Degrees site
- Branded as Starbucks rather than "We Proudly Serve Starbucks"
Starbucks on the Go and We Proudly Serve Starbucks machines within shops are the responsibility of the shop operator.
WHSmith operate all sites which are located within Extra and GRIDSERVE services. Stores within Moto, Roadchef and Welcome Break service areas are operated under a franchise agreement with the respective site operators.
Corporate filling station sites on the motorway
These filling stations are operated separately by the fuel operators and are split from the main operator of the site, so contact the fuel operator themselves if you have any queries.
- Annandale Water (A74(M))
- Clacket Lane (M25)
- Heart of Scotland (M8)
- Killington Lake (M6)
- Michaelwood (M5)
- Northampton (M1)
- Norton Canes (M6 Toll)
- Reading (M4)
- Rownhams (M27)
- Sandbach (M6)
- South Mimms (main forecourt only) (M25)
- Stafford northbound (M6)
- Strensham southbound (M5)
- Todhills southbound (M6)
- Watford Gap (M1)