Most filling stations are operated by companies who have nothing to do with the fuel supplier - for example, Esso supply fuel to some Euro Garages forecourts, but Euro Garages operate the filling station themselves with their choice of shop.
However, sometimes, the fuel majors actually operate their own sites. This page explains the patterns by which you can usually identify whether a filling station is centrally-operated, rather than by a franchise or licence basis.
On the motorway and A-road network, 'BP Express Shopping' operate many BP-branded forecourts.
Shell mainly operate petrol stations under the 'Select' fascia which usually comes with a food offering called deli by Shell. These all have Costa Express machines inside them.
- Select stores (except those located within Welcome Break service areas)
- 'Little Waitrose at Shell Select' branded stores
- Budgens stores with a deli by Shell range inside
Restaurants and shops
The Co-operative Group operate many A-road services.
- Texaco stations with Co-op shops
- Co-op Petrol sites
The Co-operative Group do not operate:
- Springfields - this store is operated by Lincolnshire Co-op
- Galley's Corner - this store is operated by SGN Retail
Costa doesn't operate:
- Any motorway cafés
- Cafés located within petrol stations
- Cafés in Premier Inn hotels
- All restaurants located at Extra sites
- Extra's former sites at Derby & Burton and Leicester North
- Some A-road service areas
KFC do not operate restaurants located within EG Group, Moto or Welcome Break service areas.
McDonald's operate all sites which are:
- Located within Extra service areas
- Part of an A-road service area (exceptions apply)
McDonald's do not operate any sites within Roadchef service areas.
Starbucks operate all sites which are:
- Not advertised on premises as an EG Group, Welcome Break or 23.5 Degrees site
- Branded as Starbucks rather than "We proudly serve Starbucks"
WHSmith operate all sites which are:
- Located at Extra and GRIDSERVE services
Corporate filling station sites on the motorway
These filling stations have nothing to do with the main operator of the site, so contact the fuel operator themselves if you have any queries.
- Annandale Water (A74(M))
- Clacket Lane (M25)
- Heart of Scotland (M8)
- Killington Lake (M6)
- Michaelwood (M5)
- Northampton (M1)
- Norton Canes (M6 Toll)
- Reading (M4)
- Rownhams (M27)
- Sandbach (M6)
- South Mimms (main forecourt only) (M25)
- Stafford northbound (M6)
- Strensham southbound (M5)
- Todhills southbound (M6)
- Watford Gap (M1)